Thursday, May 20, 2010

But I Just Don't Have Time!

“I wish I could call back Ms. Smith, but I just don’t have time!”

“If the red lights cooperate, I can leave five minutes before the meeting time and be okay!”

“If only there were more hours in the day!”

Ever had these thoughts? I have…just last week.

I didn’t post a blog update last week because “I didn’t have time.” Then I participated in the Oklahoma City Go Red for Women Luncheon last Friday and attended a break-out session on time management. That is where I learned that I didn’t post last week because I didn’t make time. There’s a big difference between the two.

Jennifer Howard of the Next Level Group led the break-out session and discussed her “Ten Effective and Proven Time Management Techniques.” Her points made me realize I can make my day more productive with proper planning and proper avoiding!

Her time management tips are worth sharing:

1. Put important things on the calendar – not just work appointments but personal appointments too.

2. Avoid interrupters. (Facebook, anyone?)

3. Assign blocks of time.

4. Chose self-discipline over distractions. (Is there a bigger distraction than Facebook?!)

5. Manage your space.

6. Focus! (And not on Facebook!)

7. Delegate.

8. Be on time.

9. Have a place and a purpose.

10. Say “no.”

Incorporating these techniques will take time and practice. But hopefully with such practice, we will all be saying:

“Ms. Smith – it’s Whitney Williams, returning your call from this morning!”

“I was stopped at every red light and still made the meeting on time!”

“I love all this free time. Wahoo time management!”

No comments:

Post a Comment