Monday, March 29, 2010

Need advice? Just ask.

I’m a new blogger, I’m fairly new to the marketing world…in a nut shell, I’m a newbie. Newbies like me can find it intimidating to start the trail towards guru status, but I’m realizing there are a slew of professionals out in the marketing world always happy to help our little group. All you have to do is ask.

I sent out a tweet asking about blogging tips. By the end of the day, I had been sent some great advice through others retweeting my cry for help. (By the way, Bobby Lehew had some fabulous points: always write with Purpose, Persistence, Patience, and an Iron Will of Perseverance!”) I was hoping to get more involved with the American Marketing Association, and Brian Blake of B2 Design made it happen. I thanked the networking genius known as Dr. Burt for his insight, and he wrote me a hand-written letter asking how he could help me in my marketing guru journey. Ok, he didn’t really call it the “marketing guru journey,” but you get my drift.

As it turns out, professionals are more than willing to help others if you express interest and start asking questions. You get answers. You get connections. You get to take a step closer to guru-hood! Whoever said we lack nice people in this world certainly didn’t work in marketing.

So if you’re a newbie like me, or if you’ve been in your field for quite some time and want to make a bigger impact, just ask for tips and advice from those around you. It’s amazing where it can take you.

2 comments:

  1. Great insight, Whitney. It's such a simple thing to do, yet so many struggle with the concept... Ask for help when you need it.
    I find this holds true in all aspects of life, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the shout-out Whitney! I've subscribed to your blog, read each post and I appreciate your candor. All my best to you!

    ReplyDelete