Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The Old College Try

This guru journey – just as everything in life – is a rollercoaster ride. There are ups and downs, glory and gloom, success and failures. But you know what I’m learning most? It’s best to know I’ve tried, regardless of the outcome.

Several weeks back, I was at a networking event where I overheard someone talking about social media. This person wanted to give clients a workshop on how to incorporate social media into their businesses but didn’t know who to turn to for that knowledge. Thinking this was a great opportunity to make a connection, be helpful, and organize my first-ever workshop, I spoke up and asked if I could help.

I contacted this person the next day, and we set up lunch. We had lunch. We discussed social media and how the workshop would go. We parted ways. I sent some more materials and contacted to follow up…to no avail. It looks like I’m not the direction this workshop is going.

Although I initially felt like an awkward teen being stood up for the Spring Dance, I began to realize what a bold step I had taken. One year ago, I wouldn’t have approached that person. Two years ago, I wouldn’t have even been at that networking event. Putting myself out there and giving it the old college try was a major step in my professional growth. So what if it was a flop? At least I tried.

And in the words of Rosalind Russell, “Flops are a part of life’s menu, and I’ve never been a girl to miss out on any of the courses.” So let's be bold future gurus…go out and give it the old college try!

No comments:

Post a Comment